READ ME: SpiderForest Application
SpiderForest is open for applications July 10-31, 2018.
If you’re interested in joining us, please read through the following before continuing to the application form.
All applicants for the July 2018 round are required to:
- CURRENTLY be updating their webcomic at least once a week, or be scheduled to return from hiatus independent of being accepted. Exceptions are made on a case-by-case basis.
- Have AT LEAST 15 comic pages complete and available to read online. No exceptions! For longform comics, we strongly recommend one full, non-prologue chapter to get a sense of the direction of the story.
- Have basic knowledge of HTML/CSS and be able to take responsibility for the hosting, maintenance, and construction of their own comic site.
- Reapplying comics are REQUIRED to seek critique via our Constructive Critique forum at least a month prior to reapplication. If you have yet to do this, you will have to sit this season out!
After being accepted, members must adhere to the following:
- Participate in voting during scheduled application seasons
- Display the SpiderForest rotating network banner above the fold of your comic page
- Is not a member of other private comic-related collectives or networks
- SpiderForest site cannot be hosted on a brand network, such as but not limited to: Comic Fury, SmackJeeves, Tapas, Webtoons, or Tumblr
- SpiderForest site must be at least one update ahead of mirror sites (The exception being under paywall support systems such as on Patreon)
- Maintain your own website
- Provide your own promotion materials (Images, news, etc.)
- Attend yearly roll call and engage with the SpiderForest community regularly
- Be responsive to admin emails and keep in touch regarding expected breaks or hiatuses from your comic
Other Policies at a Glance
- SpiderForest does not and will never make any claims of ownership over anyone’s comics, art, writing, or other related content. Your work belongs to you.
- SpiderForest is a community collective, not a publisher. While we offer members advice and limited social media promotion, we do not handle any business or advertising matters for them. We do not run on a business model; everyone at SF is an unpaid volunteer, including the founders and administrators.
- At SpiderForest, we treat each other with respect. We are a diverse group, and discrimination toward the background, identity, or beliefs of any person or group of people will not be tolerated.
- Becoming a member of SpiderForest does not require signing a contract, and a member may leave at any time.
- We encourage applicants to have their comics posted to a comic host such as SmackJeeves or Webtoons prior to application — especially if needed for the purpose of having their comic on a site to present to us. Should the applicant be accepted, they may keep these outlets as a mirror. However, we require that a member’s SpiderForest site be at least one page ahead, and that site should either be hosted privately, or by us.
- What a member puts into SpiderForest is what they get out of it. We advise members to join in on collective projects and seek connection/advice from the rest of the community, but ultimately, whether they do so is their choice.
- We recommend that applicants read through the full Policy Charter. Should any doubts remain, we encourage reading the Application FAQ as well. They’re linked above, but here they are again, just in case: The Policy Charter and the Application FAQ.